Open files without a file extension?

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM
I have a program that saves files without a file extension. ex... c:\temp\f9df68ab-5ee3-43d5-9c5e-f080ab873186

How can I open that file? _rasterizer.Open(Source, _lastInstalledVersion, false);
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Hi Geiger,

You can pass MemoryStream as source if you don't know the extension. Ghostscript.NET will figure out the file format.

Something like:
            byte[] buffer = File.ReadAllBytes(Source);
            MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream(buffer);

_rasterizer.Open(ms, _lastInstalledVersion, false);
Cheers,
Josip
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Version 1.1.9 was released a moment a go and it has this fixed so you can now pass the file path without extension and it should work.

You can download last release from:
Jul 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM
That is a very quick turn around!

I think this brings up a different issue though. StreamHelper.cs does not recognize the PDF as a valid format. (Line 83).

If I force it to be a pdf instead of throwing an error and it properly works then.
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Can you please send me (drop box or similar file sharing service) the pdf file you were trying to use and it was not recognized as a valid format so I can debug it?

or simply email it to me directly to: habjan@gmail.com
Jul 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM
I can't do that because it is a 24 page bill with a lot of personal information on it.

I got around it by copying it to a file called temp.pdf and loading that. Using the memory stream didn't work for this one specific file. It only works if it has a file name with a .PDF extension.

Thank you for your help. Sorry I can't send out the sample PDF.
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM
No worries.

Can you please open that pdf in some hex editor (you can use Visual Studio to open pdf as binary file) and send a screenshot of binary data (first 30 bytes)? This will not show any sensitive content and it will help me to figure out what's going on.

Cheers,
Josip
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Thanks for the hex output.

This problem is sorted out in this commit: https://github.com/jhabjan/Ghostscript.NET/commit/a5c6d4a4128749242aef183dfc11efae7c38052e